Windsock for Android is an app that automatically downloads and notifies users of new airport weather observations (METARs) and forecasts (TAFs). You can customize Windsock to download new METAR or TAF information for your favorite airports and optionally notify you after doing so. You can also add unlimited METAR and/or TAF widgets for all your favorite airports.
Whether you're a professional pilot or weekend warrior, you can use Windsock to get the latest METAR observation and TAF
forecast for your favorite airports. Use it to plan your commute! Use it to let you know when there's clear skies in the
forecast for the weekend!
The FREE version includes the following features:
• Unlimited airports to receive
weather updates from
• Unlimited METAR and/or TAF widgets to display on your home screen
• Easy-to-use airport lookup
tool to locate your favorite airports by ICAO/IATA code, city, etc.
• Quickly see airport condition and precipitation
(VFR, IFR, Rain, Snow, Windshear, etc)
• Airport condition and precipitation icons
• Show METAR and TAF age
(e.g. "25 minutes old")
• Sort airports by ICAO code, weather update time, or order added
• Update weather directly
from widgets with just a click
• Update weather automatically when opening the app
• Show current GMT/Zulu time at the
top of the app
• Day/Night mode - manual or automatic by time of day
You can optionally purchase a PRO key to get
the following upgraded features:
• Colorized precipitation conditions
• Filter notifications by conditions and
• Custom sounds and vibration with notifications
• No advertisements
• Ability to schedule when to
update weather each day
• Mute Mode - temporarily disable all weather notifications
• Color Schemes - Choose from different color schemes including Windsock (default), ICAO (European), or
National Weather Service (NWS)
Purchase your Windsock Pro Key here:
If you receive any errors or app crashes, please email me! Comments and suggestions are welcome as well.
I can be reached at android [at] iawix [dot] com - thank you for using Windsock!
Interested in helping translate Windsock?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org!
In order to function, Windsock asks for the following permissions.
The purpose of each permission is displayed below for total transparency:
INTERNET: Used to download weather data from the US National Weather Service.
Also used to display advertising in the Free version of Windsock.
ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Used to determine
if device is connected to the internet before downloading data.
RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Used to start automatic updates after device boots,
if notifications are enabled.
VIBRATE: Used for Pro notifications.
Allows Pro users to play notification sounds that are located on the SD card.